THE MATH DEPARTMENT AT ARLETA HIGH SCHOOL
We at Arleta High School are very focused teaching using the Common Core State Standards as our guide for curriculum, using research-based, effective teaching strategies. We also make sure to emphasize the 3 math practices recommended by the LAUSD District: Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them, construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others, and model with mathematics.
We are using complete thoughts and sentences by asking students to justify their steps using complete phrases, explaining their answers, explaining problems to one another, discussing the concepts with students, and engaging in group work.
We are using academic vocabulary by using interactive word walls with math words, the Frayer Model (graphic organizer), speaking with correct academic vocabulary by teachers and students in the classroom, and writing the definitions, pictures, and examples of those vocabulary words in their notes.
We are writing in all math classes as students write their solution to a problem, use math journals to express a thought, reflect on a concept, or explain their approach to solving a given math problem, and of course taking their tests or quizzes.
HOW TO HELP YOUR CHILD SUCCEED?
In order to help your child succeed:
· Set a consistent block of time aside each day to work on homework, class assignment, or enrichment activities.
· Always ask to look at the work/homework to make sure they know you care and they know you are checking that they do it. Don’t worry if you don’t understand how to do it. We have tutoring in school and they are welcome to join the tutoring group whenever they need help.
· Provide a quiet study area in which your child can study.
· Encourage him or her to form study partnerships or study groups with other students in his or her class.
· Please feel free to contact the school or instructor should you have any questions or concerns about your child’s educational progress or learning needs.
Please click on relevent links on right to explore further.