Students are to be in class daily to maximize opportunities for success. Excessive tardiness and absences have a direct correlation to poor student performance and are detrimental to the learning environment. Parents, students, and the entire school staff all have a shared responsibility to ensure that obtaining a quality education is the top priority.
- Students who have been absent from school for any part of the day, must report to their Small Learning Community (SLC) Office before returning to class. The student must bring a note, signed by a parent/legal guardian stating the reason for the absence, dates of the absence from school, and a parent /guardian contact phone number.
- Students who returns from an absence without a note, and whose parent/guardian cannot be contacted, will be considered truant.
- Assignments and tests missed during an excused absence may be made up. An excused absence includes the following:
- Student illness
- Medical, dental, optometrist, or chiropractic appointment
- Attending a funeral for an immediate family member
- Jury Duty
- Illness or medical appointment for a child of whom the pupil is the parent
- Court appearance (requires verification from the Court)
- Religious retreat or ceremony (requires verification from religious representative)
- Religious holiday
- All other absences are unexcused. The opportunity to make up missed assignments and/or tests will not be granted.
- Students absent for more than three (3) consecutive days, should have their parent/guardian notify the Counselor in their SLC with the reason for the absence and expected date of return.
- Students absent five (5) or more consecutive days due to a medical reason must be cleared through the nurse with a doctor’s note before returning to class.
- Early Leave: the student must bring a signed note requesting to leave early to their SLC Office no later than 8:15am on the day of the early leave. The note must include: student name, birth date, reason for leaving, time of departure, contact number of parent/guardian, and parent’s signature. All early leaves will be verified prior to releasing the student.
Emergency Early Leave: In the event the parent/guardian must take the student out of school before the end of the school day, the parent/guardian must come to the students’ SLC Office with identification and request to have the student summoned for an early leave.